Friday 19 November 2010

Debus Banten

Hello my name is Nima Ivens. My father’s family comes from Banten.
I wanted to understand more about the Banten side of my family.
One of Banten's cultural heritage I am interested about is Debus because this traditional performance is dying out, but it is also a bit creepy so I decided to spend some more time understanding debus.

Debus is a form of martial art, that is performed spiritually sometimes with weapons such as this photo
This image shows a kid eating a burning stick.

Debus started in 16th century.
Before 16th century it wasn’t called Debus but it already existed in many forms and regions.
Debus was used to fight against the Dutch during the colonial era
Debus was specially created for martial art.
I found it very difficult to find a Debus performance to watch. If you would like to see a Debus performance and know more about my cultural heriutage you can go to Kampung Wisata Anyer.
Debus is dying out because the government is not giving our cultural heritage enough support to survive. Please SIGN OUR PETITION and follow our twitter account @IndonesiArt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Introduction Nima Ivens
-Omara Naidra Esteghlal-

bellybloop said...

nice blog nima! :D
-alaia witoelar sumawinata-